AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question on secure linux
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

conley
Posted 2/24/2019 09:52 (#7340876 - in reply to #7311152)
Subject: RE: question on secure linux

I run Linux on my laptop (Fedora 29) and I have been for probably 3 years. The laptop originally came with Windows 7. I am perfectly happy with it and have no desire to go back to Windows. That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about running Linux for banking purposes. Using a good browser (i.e., Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) is my recommendation. On the other hand, I do believe Linux is a very good OS, and you are right that it is more secure. Furthermore, using a Live USB stick is fairly simple and noninvasive, so I encourage you to try it out. With a USB drive you can save data (e.g., bookmarks, browsing history, files on desktop, etc.) and retain it. If you were really paranoid you could run a Live CD (where no new data could be burnt into the OS after the CD was burned). Any changes you made would be erased once you rebooted.

You will most likely have to change your boot order in your EUFI/BIOS. Typically with Dell computers you would keep pressing the F2 key while starting the computer (when it is showing the Dell logo) to access BIOS. Navigate to your boot settings and put USB drive as first in your boot order. Then when you start the computer, it will look for a USB drive and boot from it if available. If there is no USB drive, it just goes down the list (eventually to your hard drive which has Windows on it). Your boot settings may already have USB above your hard drive. They will sometimes have the CD drive above the hard drive by default.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)