Posted 2/9/2019 10:02 (#7308601) Subject: 656 no spark
East of Broken Bow
I added this to Indiana Jones' thread yesterday, but now it is almost 4 pages down, so didn't know if he'd see it. Not sure if it will help him at all, but thought I'd put it on top where he could find it, just in case it would. I did a cut/paste, so 'today' was actually yesterday.
Today I had no spark on my 656. I chased the wires, replaced the coil, even the points and condenser, and still all I could get was a weak, erratic spark. After spending half a day (the coldest day of the year so far, in an open front shed nonetheless) I finally got it traced. Not sure if it will help you or not, but I thought I'd put it out there.
Under the points, there is a plate the points attach to, directly above the advance mechanism. It is held in place with 3 screws. Apparently, over the last 40 years or so, little corrosion 'scabs' had formed, on the ears, where they touch the inside of the distributor body. I removed that plate, and polished up the contact areas with emery cloth, put it back together with dabs of dielectric grease where they contact, and it was up and running soon after that. I really should buy new screws, as well. The ones there, were pretty rusty, which I'm sure didn't do anything to make contact, either.
As best I could tell, the points ground to the plate, and the plate grounds to the distributer body, at the 3 points where the screws go through. There was definite corrosion between the plate, and distributer body.
I kind of found it out by accident. I had the switch on, and the coil wire tied about 1/8 from the frame, and was opening and closing the points by hand, watching for a spark. I accidentally touched the wire going to the points (on the outside of the distributer) with a tool, and the distributer body at the same time, and got a real good spark. I then unhooked the wire that goes to the points, and if I touched it to ground, I got a real good spark off the coil wire, which led me to try to figure out why I wasn't getting good ground through the points. New points didn't help, so all I had left, was the little plate the points attach to. Now, I have no idea if the electronic pickup needs to be grounded the way the points were, but in case it does, might be worth looking into.