AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How is the young guys suppose to carry on?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Lost1
Posted 2/11/2019 18:39 (#7314435 - in reply to #7307570)
Subject: RE: How is the young guys suppose to carry on? update

I seen my cousin yesterday and we talked for quite some time. The biggest issues looking from outside are that he has basically his clothes and his older truck. He has worked on the farm for some living money and a house to live in. He will have to find a new place to live if he doesn't buy the farm. He has a job that he can go work just a verbal "hey if you're ever looking for work" so nothing 100%. His sister is not in the picture she has had some drug issues in the past and has a distant relationship with parents and her brother. I really feel bad for him because he was there 7 days a week. His dad hasn't actually milked the cows for some years. Quite the blow when you are working for darn near nothing being told how someday this will be yours and somewhat "paying your dues" all to find out that work had no equity. The other side of this is second hand but my uncle feels that he could sell it to some one else and make money so why not the same with the son. Claimed that if he wants it bad enough he'll figure out a way and if not some one else can have at it. .... My personal opinion is my cousin working for next to nothing helping build what is currently there should be worth something. My uncle inherited the farm as did my uncle whom I farmed with both farms had very little debt. As the uncle whom I farmed with and took over has said they did the same worked for a place to live and a couple bucks but the deal was they'd be in line to take over. I feel like what has changed in my opinion is that as my uncle has gotten older he's more of a control freak and for whatever reason thinks every young guy just wants the easiest way to be a millionaire. I think what he's worried or shall I say has himself convinced that it'd be a case of cousin gets/takes over farm and then wants to sell it. I know my cousin would like to continue dairy and would like to do better with the crops and as far as I can tell just selling it wouldn't be happening. I told him to either give it a little time and see what actually becomes of this all or to cut off and take the job and start over. I explained to him not having kids to worry about is helpful and that maybe if it comes down to it moving away and starting over could be the best thing for him. No payments on a truck,pack his stuff and rent a place and start a new life. I explained it's not too late to start over and heck if he wanted to he could stay in the ag industry plenty of people/farms/coops would like to have a guy who knows whats going on etc to work for them. So I guess for now it is a wait and see what he wants to do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)