AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop record keeping programs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KRM
Posted 2/8/2019 08:19 (#7305739 - in reply to #7304146)
Subject: RE: Crop record keeping programs

NC Kansas
If you are good with Excel you can build your own customized spreadsheets.
I have a profit/acre spreadsheet I use for each crop. It's very simple a category for each input cost and then I tie it to a gross income table where I plug in my bean, corn and wheat acres and projected prices and yields to see where I need to be. It's nothing fancy but I know what yields and prices I need to break even. It does help me make decisions on forward contracting grain and pricing inputs. It also tells me which crop is most profitable, or in wheat's case, just plain "not" profitable!

I also built a fertilizer calculator spreadsheet that helps me build blends and figure those costs so I can get that exactly how I want it and know the exact cost per acre.

My big drawback is myself not saving all my data from years past, I'm not very diligent about saving each year for historical purposes. I hope I don't kick myself in 30 years when I'm arguing in the coffee shop about the price of urea back in 2008.

I don't really use a machinery cost figure, yes I have a couple M&E payments but I use my net income projections and start deducting off my obligations I need to make with that money and have a bottom line there. It's pretty simple but if I don't have enough to meet my obligations after expenses that's all I need to know.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)