AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Computer question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Omar
Posted 2/7/2019 17:35 (#7304331 - in reply to #7302323)
Subject: RE: Computer question

Elmira, Ontario

I have two thoughts. There's a really, really old limitation in Windows regarding the number of files in the top level C:\ folder. I don't know if that is still an issue. I haven't heard of anyone having this issue in about 20 years. The symptom was the drive was reported full when it really wasn't. In File Explorer, get at rough estimate of the number of files and folders there. If in the hundreds, that's too many. I've got 20.

The second, more likely issue is Windows 10 has recently added a feature called Protected Folders. If turned on, it might look like the drive is full to a program as it can't write to the folder that it is trying for.

Left click on the Windows menu icon bottom left of the screen. Start typing "ransomware protection" and select it. If it is on, turn it off only to test, but I leave it on these days. You can click on Allow an app through...,  then Add an Allowed App, then Recently blocked apps. If this is what is causing your problem, then your printer app should show up here. BTW, this feature is supposed  to prevent a rogue virus from encrypting your files.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)