AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm building.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Kel1306
Posted 2/5/2019 13:09 (#7298681)
Subject: Farm building.

Wyoming
Ok guys I need some input here. Im preparing to put up a building. My original plan was to put up a 30x42x14 steel building. Partly because other buildings I am familiar with are all steel, partly because they pre engineer them just down the road. BUT, just got my quote on the concrete and I about cr**** my pants! Concrete guy says he wont do the job unless he puts in a full footer below frost line. Monolithic poured floor. Long story short, concrete bid was 12,000 for a not real big building.

So, looking at potential alternatives, ie...post frame. I'll be honest, they spook me a bit. I dont want any lumber in contact with the ground, so that means either perma columns or concreting the columns in the hole.

My question is, when these buildings fail, is it the columns that fail, or do the roofs fail. Do the columns fail at the ground or at the header?

I see some buildings with 9 foot column span, some with 8 foot, and some with 10 foot. I see rafter spacing of 8 foot, and 4 foot.

Obviously the 8 foot columns and the 4 foot rafters would be my choice, but I need some first hand experience.

My options are probably Morton, Cleary, VAP construction, or WICK.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)