AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Investing in stocks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 2/5/2019 18:43 (#7299276 - in reply to #7298458)
Subject: RE: Investing in stocks

C IL
I know little about stocks. I do believe in diversifying investments.

On the market side of our portfolio, we have money in roughly thirds. Two thirds in a couple pots in index funds that track major market indices. Been very good for the last decade plus due to low volatility. Bad last year.

Moved a third over to more actively managed broker last year. Divided money up into 10 different funds. Pitch was that more actively managed funds do better in downturns/turbulence. Beat the index funds by a lot last year (as in made a whopping 2% instead of losing 5+%, which is a win in my book). I get trade confirmations every couple of months that they exited a position and took a new one. I don’t pay much attention.

When I don’t know what to do I divide the decision into fractions (tenths, quarters, thirds, halves, kind of like SAT’s marketing cookies). And split my risk.

I would definitely dollar cost average my way in ($1000/month for 10 months) so you don’t live or die by the local high. Ask my wife how proud she is when she finally bit on my insistence she enter the market with some of her cash pile last January - she missed the previous 5 year run up and entered at the recent peak in one gulp. Hiccup over 4 decades but frustrating if you want to exit today.

I am not a stock picker. I have no time or desire to understand individual company performance.

Edited by sand85 2/5/2019 18:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)