AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any experience with 18650 batteries?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/11/2019 06:59 (#7312698 - in reply to #7297936)
Subject: RE: Latest developments

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I got the batteries and cheap charger the other day. I was surprised that the batteries didn't have any polarity marking on them. One end was slightly different from the other but they didn't have the button that some batteries have for the "+" post. The batteries did have some charge so I checked them with a meter and marked the polarity on each battery. Later I noticed on the battery box that the somewhat notched end is the "+" post.

I charged them overnight and tried them with my Arduino based RoboCar. This RoboCar is 2WD with each wheel driven by its own motor. The third wheel is a caster type. The first sketch is a test sketch which runs the car forward for a bit, then backward for a bit, then runs one wheel forward and the other backward so it spins in a circle clockwise, then counter clockwise. This seemed to work fine.

The next step is to install an IR sensor on the car and load up a different sketch. This sketch allows a small remote to "drive" the car by using the arrow buttons on the remote. This does work but the remote has to be aligned quite well with the sensor. This makes it very impractical to drive around a room unless you move with the car.

I haven't tried the next step. This is to install a pair of black/white sensors on the front of the RoboCar. These sensors can detect black from white, so a black ribbon or trail can be laid out. A different sketch is loaded and the car should follow this path.

The final variation is to install a bluetooth module and appropriate sketch into the Arduino. Then a special app is loaded into a smartphone. The phone app has arrow buttons on the screen which can be touched to drive the car around by using the app on the phone. Hopefully this would work over a larger area as long as the car can receive bluetooth from the phone.

All in all this serves no real practical purpose other than to entertain and learn about microcontrollers. This is kind of an extension to the old Erector set that I used to play with as a child.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)