AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case IH RTK+ vs Digifarm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

CASE3594
Posted 1/31/2019 23:39 (#7289252 - in reply to #7289219)
Subject: RE: Case IH RTK+ vs Digifarm

Tuscola, IL
Very good post.

I am on the other side as far as RTK+ vs Digifarm. I will say I don’t have a lot of experience with Digifarm so that influences me some. I have had very good luck with RTK+ and will likely have 20+ subscriptions running this spring. I have to 100% agree with your comparison of RTK to RTX. I don’t thinj everyone NEEDS RTK, but people expecting RTK results from RTX, while RTX works great, it is not RTK.

What I run into a lot is second pass operations, row crop cultivating, side dressing, spraying etc, these are all difficult enough on RTK, without implementing guidance, without adding in the known error of RTX over time. So, while your rows look great and straight and maybe that’s all you’re after, it’s the second or third pass that has my phone ringing saying the machine needs calibrated or ‘something is wrong’.

To the OP, as far as the modem over the iPad, I am a firm believer in the modem. However, as far as the downside to the app, the only thing your operators will need to know is to keep it plugged in. Once the app is set to ‘auto stream’, there is literally no need to even look at the iPad again. The system will be 50% or more converged before the display powers on. But, I fully encourage the modem route, especially if there are areas of your farm where cell signal is questionable.

As far as moving the modem, the Intuicom modem is more friendly for connecting to different devices. The Sierra Wireless modem that is offered as part of the RTK+ promotion can be moved. I would recommend buying a power cable and receiver harness for each vehicle the modem will go in. Or, you can potentially use one power harness and put a connector on the end to plug into the 3 pin outlet in Magnums, Steigers and combines. His would let you quickly unplug and take the modem to the next vehicle. Definitely will want a dedicated harness to the receiver just to cut down on work transferring. Especially true if it’s going in a combine. The receiver harness gets difficult to route, especially if power folding bin extensions are on the combine.

Edit to add: went back and read your OP again, I was thinking this was a Case system. Since you have Trimble components, you won’t need the extra receiver harness. Your connections will all be in the cab. With a CNH receiver, it has to be ran to the roof. Disregard the additional harnesses.

Edited by CASE3594 1/31/2019 23:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)