AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Class 3 milk
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mndairyman
Posted 1/29/2019 05:52 (#7280747 - in reply to #7280687)
Subject: RE: Too bad....

I don't understand the sexed semen argument. Been using it here along with beef semen. Do you really want holstein bull calves that worthless? I can really dial my replacements in and increase my income on the dairy bull by almost eliminating the holstein bulls. Tariffs are a large part of the issue I believe. If we didn't have them I think our price would rise to breakeven at least. What do I know? The mega dairies, I believe are just way more efficient than our smaller operations. Even more efficient than a 1000 cow dairy. For example we have 8 that milk, feed, and care for 300 cows and all of the young stock. I know this is an over simplified way to look at it. But 15x would be 4500 cows so 15x8 i would need 120 employees(theoretically that I would need). If what these farms are telling me is accurate as far as labor goes. I have visited some at a smaller scale(2000 cows). They are milking, feeding, and caring for 4500 cows with 40-50 employees. So now scale that back to my operation. That tells me to be conservative, I could get by with 4 employees. Don't know it makes sense to keep beating your head against the wall just so we can say we milk cows. I believe the next 5 years there will be major changes to the dairy industry. Right now it's doom and gloom all over the place.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)