AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

update on wisconsin VH4D ignition
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kb ag
Posted 1/28/2019 17:15 (#7279511)
Subject: update on wisconsin VH4D ignition

For those of you who didn't read the prior post, the old Colt distributor is impossible to get parts for. We took all the parts off before we knew that and also changed spark plugs. When we couldn't get parts, we put everything back together and a previously decent running engine would not run for over 3 seconds. We messed and messed with the distributor cap, points, condensor, and spark plug wires till we were blue.

We finally took a new spark plug out and put an old one in its place. The motor then ran like crap, but it would run for 15 seconds if you messed with the choke and throttle constantly. We felt that some of the exhaust ports weren't as hot as others and finally gapped the plugs a little wider than the old ones (they were identical plugs) and we got it running rough, but it would actually stay running. I had tried earlier to adjust the dwell on the distributor but it was tight and wouldn't move, so i thought that isn't the problem. I finally decided to loosen it and adjust it and that made a world of difference.

It runs very acceptable now and i would attribute the slight flutter at high RPM to the old crappy cap, rotor, points and condensor. Anyway, I am done messing with it until I find new parts or get confirmation that I can switch in a serviceable Prestolite distributor.

Thanks to those that helped.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)