AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are ethanol and crop insurance hurting the young farmer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Brahamfireman
Posted 1/25/2019 15:07 (#7272118 - in reply to #7272078)
Subject: RE: Are ethanol and crop insurance hurting the young farmer?

Braham MN.
Honkytonkman - 1/25/2019 14:48

Brahamfireman - 1/25/2019 13:51

I'll get cattle when I dont have to feed them all winter.

45" on heavy clay makes it real hard to put up hay around here, small squares going for $6 bucks local. I'm not buying hay for that...

Give my $3.50 corn and $9 beans, I'll farm that LONG before I get cows again.

Thanks for this attitude. My cow herd is very profitable because of it. Keep tearing it up.

Mom and dad bought their first dairy cows spring of 1987, milked at 11am-pm because dad worked 2nd shift, I was 4. By the time I was 10 we shifted to 8 o'clock milkings, dad feed silage and ran out manure in mornings. mom and I were doing the evening milking, I feed hay and silage again at nite. That arrangement stayed till I had enough around 24 or so, then my sister helped at nite. I moved west at 27 and they sold out.....maybe beef are different but I've had my fill of cattle full time.

On edit, we used to put somewhere around 6K small squares a year in the hayloft until about 2000 or so, then dad bought a skid steer and started buying large squares. I was in heaven then.

Also I dont carry crop insurance, no operating note. Pretty easy to cashflow my few acres. I'm a classic STO. First gov check I ever took was MFP this year. Dont need gov help, use my 55 hour a week job to subsidize my hobby....

Edited by Brahamfireman 1/25/2019 15:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)