AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Post trade deal (if)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 1/25/2019 05:58 (#7270865 - in reply to #7270588)
Subject: RE: Market signals?

At some point don't we need to get back to reacting to market signals rather than handouts or non-fundamental price inflation? I get it than in a down market, growing more helps the bottom line but that doesn't go on forever. The current "signals" have brought us to a historic carry over in beans. We could have a 1988 situation where there is a large production shortfall that causes the oversupply to be eaten up, but that's impossible to predict. Something will have to change. It could be a bloodbath for those who refuse to adapt, but it's always been that way.

We need to get over thinking we should be able to do whatever we want with a guaranteed outcome. It's nice hearing "then God created a farmer" and think we are somehow ordained, but if you listen to Paul Harvey's message, that farmer had a about 20 irons in the fire. I can not say what we should do exactly, but it sounds like staying in business means changing things, maybe always changing things.

However, our whole economy seems to be moving toward non-market driven signals so we are not alone. GM going to electric cars is not a customer driven idea. E-cars could have their place, but they haven't because the technology really isn't ready (ie. batteries). Solar, wind and a pile of other "feelings driven" products and services are being driven onto the market and I don't think that ends well. Without significant subsidy it all crashes just like us. Farming's saving grace is that we do generate a product necessary for life and it will have demand regardless of the pseudo economy. It may not be at a price that fits a preconceived level of income and effort.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)