AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where are you cutting costs??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

vickruse
Posted 1/22/2019 11:08 (#7263754 - in reply to #7263668)
Subject: RE: Where are you cutting costs??

SE Iowa
Graintrader has some good points on N-serve and sprayer. If you are comfortable doing your own spraying there is BIG money to be saved. Neighbor bought a sprayer last winter after talking to me and another neighbor about custom work. We should have done this a long time ago. I used to spray myself with saddle tanks and boom on tractor ahead of my field cultivator. Also sprayed with attachment on back of planter. Both worked but wife was concerned about exposure. Last year I saved almost $30000 on chemical cost alone. Local elevator has 3 prices on chems, cash and carry with no scouting, cash and carry with scouting, and custom sprayed with scouting. Markup on chems is crazy high on the latter. One was 300%, most were 60-80%. They charge $6/acre to spray, I'm giving neighbor $7. He picked up another farmer for this year and several have gotten their own sprayers and doing the same. I would imagine chem high charges may be coming down for elevator if trend continues. So for those who can afford it and have the time, start with a sprayer, seed would be next, n-serve in spring does not pay, maybe reduce trips across the field by one, fungicide on beans.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)