AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where are you cutting costs??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 1/22/2019 10:14 (#7263604 - in reply to #7263461)
Subject: RE: Where are you cutting costs??

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

You can get into GPS and guidance for a lot less than $20k. I bought a tractor and it came with an RTK unlocked FM1000, hydraulic steering and all the assorted goodies for an extra $10k. Put row clutches on the planter and I know they will have easily paid for themselves between last year and this one. 

Not planning on cutting much of anything, not much to cut, tried cutting corn pops, found out that it hurt us a bit on yield with a couple hybrids, if wed have planted a bit more we could've gained a bunch more yield. 

Doing a few things different, going to sidedress 32% instead of having it sprayed on or spread on dry. Might try fertigation on a sandy pivot. Gonna hit the weeds hard on a couple new fields no matter what the cost, would've paid this year with the lost yield again, even at $50/acre I would've been money ahead. 

Keeping the seed we have, might be high by somes standards, but I KNOW that it will perform in our challenging conditions, that is worth quite a bit in my book. 

IMHO when prices are low is the time to stick with what you know works as long as youre breaking even or better. But things look different when you live east of the Missouri river.

Edited by berggrenfarms 1/22/2019 10:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)