AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip till to no till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

crowbar
Posted 1/22/2019 07:15 (#7263172 - in reply to #7262624)
Subject: RE: Strip till to no till

Hazelton, Kansas
Bryce,

We worked up a one pass strip-till planter, based on a chisel frame. The first thing to hit the ground is a coulter. Next, narrow NH3 knife places liquid fertilizer 6-10" deep. Then the planter units follow about 1-1/2" to the side of the knife.

We originally built it for double-crop Milo, the idea being to get fertilizer deep when going into a hot, dry part of the year. But we also plant beans with it. And cotton in 2018. We have fairly long hoses from the Cyclo boxes to the planter units, so I imagine the spacing wouldn't be acceptable for most corn growers.

We haul ~900 gallons of fertilizer on the back of a 4-wd. That gives us 1-1/2 to 2 hours between fertilizer fills on Milo, longer on beans.

The picture below shows the planter running in stripped wheat stubble. It gives an idea how much soil is disturbed. The pic was taken when I wasn't running the coulters. I have found that coulters help the knife pass through the soil with far less disturbance.

We have a few small areas of tight clay. This concept doesn't close the knife kerf very well in those areas, and stand is reduced there.

FWIW

MDS

Edited by crowbar 1/22/2019 07:18

(image (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image (full).jpeg (122KB - 24 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)