AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Renting or hiring excavator work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AGB
Posted 1/21/2019 15:17 (#7261720 - in reply to #7261054)
Subject: RE: Renting or hiring excavator work

Mid-Michigan
DoubleJFarmsWA - 1/21/2019 10:47

I went the other route (then most all of the other answers posted here). But, I added it up and guessed I have/had 300 hours of work. While I could hire it done, some of the projects would take me longer to explain, then just take care of myself. We have a backhoe I was very familiar with, and had ran a mini-ex a few times (so figured I could learn the excavator). So, I bought a used big excavator and took some time learning how to operate it on jobs that were in wide open spaces. I believe this was a good route for me to go. Also, I didn’t rent, because I didn’t have a month to dedicate to these projects, so I can use it when I have time (note, it’ll probably take me 2 years to get the list of projects done I have). Yes, a hired one, probably could do it faster then me (but I still had to take care of any permits/bonds)...

Im the same way. I want to do it myself because I know what I want done and know how I want it to look like. However I've spent most of my life in the woods. Digging a few trees out isn't a big deal to me. I'm not real experienced with an excavator but very experienced with a backhoe. In my opinion, you can smash stuff much quicker with a backhoe (including you). Certainly common sense plays a part, but you very much can do what you are saying. You certainly won't be ready to dig a basement or anything but if you are mechanically inclined, go for it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)