AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing standing corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

heinz57
Posted 1/19/2019 13:49 (#7256310)
Subject: Grazing standing corn

NW Wisconsin
First time trying this. Planted 7-8 acres to an extra leafy conventional silage corn variety on the recommendation of my seed guy. Put in 48 cows with calves the 1st of December. I split the field down the center the long way and give them just enough to clean up in 3 or 4 days. The 1st day they don't get any hay, but then I will roll out 1 bale per day after that. We had a warm spell the beginning of the month and weaned the calves so now only need 1 bale about 1.5 days. Cows seem satisfied, no bellering or coming up to the gate when they see me coming down the road. I am getting close to the end of my 2nd half, should go easily to 1st part of Feb.
They are cleaning everything up nicely but there sure are a lot of corn kernels on the ground. We haven't had hardly anything for snow this winter which is great, this being my first time trying this. This is really saving my hay this year and I will do this again but I would like to plant a variety that holds its kernels better if possible. Someone told me that they are breeding corn to release the kernels easier, is this true? I'm thinking about getting some feeder pigs this spring to clean up what's left, good or bad idea? Fences will hold pigs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)