AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

It's 1980
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 1/20/2019 06:52 (#7257858 - in reply to #7256727)
Subject: Would seem to me, a logical solution that could greatly

Enhance overall efficiency of a full electric truck fleet would simply be to have a removable battery pack. Truck stops have fully charged battery packs on location. Pay the truck stop based on the differential between the fully charged battery pack and the remaining in the one changed out. A fully functioning truck stop could prolly get a driver back on the road in half the time required to fill with diesel. Trucks could be lighter and much cheaper if they don’t need expensive and heavy on board charging systems like it appears the Nikola trucks utilize. Stored batteries in the warehouse could be charged at a slower rate, all at off peak rates. These battery packs could soak up all the excess power wind produces when the demand isn’t there, and be released on days when the wind isn’t blowing, greatly alleviating one of the major problems of wind power. I could further envision a big truck stop putting up a couple big turbines of their own out in the back forty to supply a fairly substantial supply of this power. They would be getting in essence retail price for the power they produced on site. Payback would be pretty fast I would think. The other futuristic idea I envision would be to build a dedicated electric, driverless only road system, with strategically placed freight yards. I did some quick math, and since I’m not a truck fleet owner, I had to use my best educated guesses in my assumptions. My conclusion is the labor cost to drive a truck 500 miles a day equals or exceeds the fuel cost. Therefor the payback on a driverless system would also be ramped up greatly. I’m trying to envision what driving on interstate 80 would be like with the majority of the trucks off the interstate system. Thinking outside the box this morning obviously.

Edited by Boone & Crockett 1/20/2019 09:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)