AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dowdy - corn yield drag due to Herbicide??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 1/18/2019 21:57 (#7255054 - in reply to #7254929)
Subject: RE: Dowdy - corn yield drag due to Herbicide??

n.c.iowa
Story time....

So about 10...12 years ago we first ran into RUP resistant TWH, it was a 80 acre field that was close to the home farm, had a lot of manure applied, and had a couple of sloughs that drowned out about every other year.

Nothing down on this field, sprayed our usual 26 oz. of RUP, which in all of the other fields cleaned up nicely. 5 or 6 days later dad mentions that we got a problem in this field, you'd better take a look.
So later that day I run out with a hoe, gonna clean things up, and all I see is a bunch of weeds( TWH) missing a couple leaves, and starting to look pretty healthy, more than I can chop out in a few days. So back home I went to face the music, and give dad the bad news that we might have RUP resistant TWH.

Well he wasn't exactly a believer in such a thing at that time, and pretty much, in no uncertain terms explained to me that it was something I did wrong. Well, I didn't think I did anything wrong but arguing was gonna be futile.

So dad left on a fishing trip and it gave me ten days to figure out how I was gonna get things cleaned up, keep in mind I had sprayed few hundred other acres with no issues. I was pretty sure we had resistant TWH here.
So I got together with our local agronomist guy that had been around for awhile, and beings nobody really understood resistance in weeds yet, we concocted a grand battle plan.

So we went the max rate of RUP, 12oz. Of Cobra, and for good measure a pinch of scepter.

It just so happened that year that some friends of mine invited me to go along fishing, to the same exact place my dad had gone, we were going to occupy the camp when dad and his group left. So the day before I left I told my oldest son to spray the field, it had finally dried up. So here is what I told him," tomorrow afternoon you load the sprayer up with the chemicals I have there, run 20 gallons/acre for good coverage, the hard part is gonna be when grandpa gets back,the beans are gonna look like you killed them, grandpa is gonna be upset, but it'll be alright, just hang in there until I get back".

So i go fishing, we have a good time, and when I get back, the beans are finally getting some green leaves back on them, but it was as bad as I suspected, probably worse, this happened on the second week of July. So from that time until we harvested them, all I heard about is how that agronomy guy and I had screwed up dads beans, practically every day. And to be fair they did look tough.

So one bright early October day, while eating dinner, dad says " well....., we just as well go and get that miserable field if beans harvested, and see how bad it's going to be". Alrighty then, "do you want the beans in the bin". I asked, "nope just pull a wagon out there, probably be awhile before I'll need a truck or something, no sense even setting the auger up to the bin, if you got something else to do, you just as well do it", says my dad.
So I get setup to haul manure, run a wagon and the auger wagon out to the field, I go about my own business, after about a hour or so I get a call on the two-way, "you might want to set the auger up to that bin after all".

Well to make a ridiculously long story at least alittle shorter, those beans ended up doing right around 63 bu./ acre, the best beans we harvested that year, and most importantly, weed free.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)