AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What if I called every seed comany
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Barney
Posted 1/18/2019 16:14 (#7254226 - in reply to #7254155)
Subject: RE: It sounds like you guys are a real....

West Central, IA

I didn't say FBN was worth it, just said they had a nice starting list.  I am however slightly curious as the end game.

There has basically been 3 genetics suppliers for a few years now.  Monsanto/Corn States - Corteva/Dupont - Syngenta/Chem China. For corn anyway.  Can toss Stine in that mix somewhere.  From that, Pioneer, Dekalb, Channel, and some Garst numbers will not cross over, that has been known for years.  Everything else below that will start to cross and from there it's whatever the market will bear for price.  As long as you stay in those respective genetic silos, are a rarely going to plant the same plant.  IE... 20 bags from Monsanto and 20 bags from Corteva, you won't have the same genetics.
If you drop to the sub level - Ag Reliant, the LG's, the Ag Ventures, the you name it 10,000 list.  You will get sold off genetics that cross over to many varieties.

So knowing that, what does a list of 10,000 numbers get you?  We already know that anything within corn states can cross and be resold, that is the business.  This is where I struggle that FBN thinks they have a nugget in the grass.  It's been happening for several years and it's nothing new.  If it worries a person so much, go to the top level and buy seed (Pioneer, DeKalb, Channel, etc) - then you don't have to worry so much about the crosses of getting same variety somewhere else.

Not condemning at all, I just look at the FBN list and go yep, we've all known this for a long time now.  Thanks for confirming, check... but really what do you do with knowing the info????  Anything at a sub level will cross across many names, roll the dice.  Whether the bag says LG or Agrigold on it, as long as you manage the price accordingly, what changes???  

Sadly, as a genetics company, I think it takes this level of remarking to cover the research outlay to some degree.

Edited by Barney 1/18/2019 16:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)