AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Delta Force test plot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nviney
Posted 1/18/2019 09:37 (#7253466)
Subject: Delta Force test plot

Evansville, WI
Didn't want to walk steal Cbell's Precision Planting post below, figured I might as well get around to seeing what our plot showed.

First year with Delta-Force. Ran a plot to see what, if any thing I could learn.

Plot was no-till corn following soybeans. Conditions were excellent at planting, the best we have had in several years, and had plentiful moisture immediately after planting and excessive moisture all season (about 20 inches above average) Planter is a Kinze 3700 with Dawn Coulter & Screw Adjust Row cleaner combo, closing wheels were Yetter Twisted Poly Spike. Ran Heavy setting on all of our no-till corn acres. Whole field average was 231.7 across scales. Plot was replicated 3 times at one location. I am sure I could have had a better plot setup, but this is what I did, used the 3 automatic settings, and then used one static setting based upon what I observed from monitor. Data was from Yield Sense yield monitor, which was about 1 bushel short of what the whole field was across elevator scales.

(Setting, Yield, Average Ground Contact, Average Margin)
Heavy Auto-Setting: 230.46, 99.7, 132
Standard Auto-Setting: 227.48, 99.5, 86
Light Auto-Setting: 225.08, 95, 39
180# Down Force Static: 227.9, 99.7,85

About what I would expect, in ideal conditions very little difference. EDIT: I would say it is not statistically different because of only one location, despite there being some numerical advantages.

The biggest benefit I found from Delta Force so far was that it forced you to have a down force sensor on each row and that caught a couple of different issues that I might not have caught as soon without it. Had two depth handles break in different fields and were trying to go to plant at maximum depth, also had a row unit that the parallel arms were binding and not letting the unit in the ground all the way. Obviously you could just put the sensor on each row and get the same information without the added expense of the Delta Force.

If anyone has a better way to do a plot I am open to suggestions for a plot for 2019.

Edited by nviney 1/18/2019 10:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)