AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil benefits and tillage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 1/17/2019 08:26 (#7250945 - in reply to #7250005)
Subject: RE: Soil benefits and tillage?

Sanilac Co. Michigan
Nope, whatever soil structure benefits you accrued with two years of NT are lost...gone...wasted once you drop that chisel plow into it in the fall and beat it into a fit state in the spring. Not saying you can't grow a crop that way, people do.

Don't know where in the state you're located, or the soil types you have to work with, but I get the whole too wet early thing. I'm guessing the underlying issue is drainage. You need to cure that issue first before committing to a full on no till system.

Tillage radish to make deep penetration so water goes deeper, rye let go so it soakes up all that excess water, letting all those macropores created in undisturbed soil in no till soil channel that water deeper...bushwa! There's only one thing pretty near guaranteed to cure the problem...tile in sufficient quantity and properly installed. Do that and no till continuously and your soil quality, moisture holding capacity, drainage and with a bit of luck, your bottom line will be enhanced.

This is Michigan, not Tennessee, Kentucky, or any of the I States and the farther north you go the screwier the conditions get, big lakes and what not. Time, unfortunately, is not on our side in the spring and fall. Going fishing until nature can take it's course so it's dry enough to no till really isn't a option.

Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)