AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

thinking about no tilling...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Curious
Posted 1/16/2019 16:18 (#7249498 - in reply to #7249381)
Subject: RE: thinking about no tilling...

NW IA
This is the first year that I no-tilled beans into stalks and bedded pack manure. It turned out very well. I have no-tilled into pack manure spread on oats stubble more often.

1. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I believe the box spreader, which I also used, may have an advantage similar to leaving corn stalks intact. The spread pattern being more chunky could be more conducive to the soil surface drying than a super fine spread with no soil exposed.

2. Can't help you there. Not my soil type.

3. No yield drag on soybeans, perhaps the opposite. Corn in my experience has been a 50/50 deal. Cold soil gets the blame for my spotty results. Others may weigh in on starter as a partial solution, I don't have the hardware.

4. Exactly the planter I have. Mine has Yetter floating Sharks and I use them. It is often stated that they are unnecessary. I've tried it both ways and like to have them moving residue out of the way.

Your planter should be in good shape. IMHO your post harvest stalks should not be shredded.

I will be planting into shredded stalks this spring because my combine broke down and a neighbor finished me up with a chopping head. It did what it was made to do and the stalks are confetti! Will see how it works, who knows, I might like it.

(IMG_6228 (full).JPG)

(IMG_6229 (full).JPG)

(IMG_6115 (full).JPG)

(IMG_6116 (full).JPG)

(IMG_6117 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_6228 (full).JPG (143KB - 23 downloads)
Attachments IMG_6229 (full).JPG (198KB - 24 downloads)
Attachments IMG_6115 (full).JPG (123KB - 16 downloads)
Attachments IMG_6116 (full).JPG (186KB - 13 downloads)
Attachments IMG_6117 (full).JPG (177KB - 19 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)