AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What did you study in high school?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/16/2019 07:55 (#7248486 - in reply to #7248255)
Subject: RE: What did you study in high school?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
When growing up, I remember my Mother indicating that she went to "Normal" training. This seemed strange to me and I wondered if she wasn't "normal" prior to the training. Later after Graduation from High School, I attended a local teacher college. I noticed the word "Normal" on one of the old buildings.

Doing a Google search brought up the following:

Normal Schools derive their name from the French phrase ecole normale. These teacher-training institutions, the first of which was established in France by the Brothers of the Christian Schools in 1685, were intended to set a pattern, establish a “norm” after which all other schools would be modeled. The first normal school in America was established in Vermont in 1823. The name fell out of favor toward the end of the 1920s, when the influence of Columbia University’s Teachers College became paramount in the field of public education. Most such institutions changed their names to “teachers colleges” during the 1930s. Now that the “progressive education” teachings of the Columbia group have been discredited, the Progressive Education Association itself has disbanded and most colleges have dropped “teachers” from their names. Thus we find that the normal school of grandfather’s day became a “state teachers college” during father’s youth, but today’s sprouts are attending “state colleges.”

This was exactly the evolution of the names of the school I attended. It has now evolved into a State University. I suspect this Normal idea is why many high schools have similar requirements and offerings.

Edited by tedbear 3/15/2023 08:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)