AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Barley For Brewing Companys Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rank
Posted 1/15/2019 19:00 (#7247451 - in reply to #7247411)
Subject: RE: Barley For Brewing Companys Questions

SEON
JD105404T - 1/15/2019 18:46

Hey Guys,

I live in western Oklahoma. I have noticed that there has been a lot of craft breweries starting up here in the state. I was curious if any of you grow barley for any of the breweries? I was just wondering if you could tell me more about how all that works?

Thank you
JD105404T

Ha! It sucks mostly.

About 6-7 years ago I grew a test plot for a buyer that had something do with Canada Malting. He was out of Manitoba and flat told me I would fail because we can't grow malting barley in the east due to fusarium. Well I proved him wrong on the fusarium but he rejected it anyway because the falling number wasn't what he wanted to see. You can't dry it because it will kill the germ and if it heats you don't get a good falling number.

He also told me don't feel bad because they reject 3/4ths of what they receive and it goes for feed. On top of all that, they were paying 30% less than what I was getting for my wheat.

For the past few years my neighbor has been growing barley for a local maltster. They are terrible unreliable on taking delivery, very picky on quality. Basically they like to promise a whole whack of farmers the moon to create a glut then they back out on the verbal promise and drive the price down.

If you do it make sure you get a contract in writing that doesn't penalize you if it gets rejected. Also bettere have a feed market lined up and your own truck to deliver it so you don;t get screwed on trucking when they reject.

Malt barley sucks

Edited by rank 1/15/2019 19:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)