AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting into live cover
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WIJDW
Posted 1/16/2019 20:21 (#7250067 - in reply to #7248429)
Subject: RE: Planting into live cover

LOGAN RR FARM - 1/16/2019 07:34

I don't normally plant conventional corn. Sometimes I plant a little for silage. I do plant quite a bit of silage sorghum which is pretty much the same thing as conventional corn as far as chemicals to use post. My concern is finding the rows so I don't run over where I have planted. I have a light bar on the sprayer but use markers on the planter. I do use row cleaners on the planter so that should help. I bet strip till would be really nice in this situation

Yeah, I often plant green with corn, but on NH3 strips, so don't have to use markers on the corn planter. Matter of fact, I've only used the markers for about 2 acres since I've had the planter pictured,
With beans I also prefer drilling green, as my only negative experience with cover crops so far is terminating tall cereal rye before drilling, then having it turn wet and struggling to drill later in wet, matted down conditions.
In soybean pic from last spring, drilled green, then sprayed 5 days after drilling, but before SB emergence. With my 24' drill in high residue conditions, using the markers would likely be high maintenance, so instead I use an outback light bar and get along fine, although I now try to target drilling into knee high green C. rye in April to try and capture better yield potential, using ilevo treated beans to manage SDS worries with potential early drilling conditions.

(April 8th (full).JPG)

(4-13-2017 (full).JPG)

(5-16-18 beans in dying rye (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments April 8th (full).JPG (100KB - 30 downloads)
Attachments 4-13-2017 (full).JPG (108KB - 31 downloads)
Attachments 5-16-18 beans in dying rye (full).JPG (190KB - 37 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)