AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1300% ROI beats what Dextrose offers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

coup
Posted 1/13/2019 18:56 (#7243120 - in reply to #7242154)
Subject: RE: 4 year in furrow sugar results

USA
berggrenfarms - 1/13/2019 10:55

JAnderson - 1/13/2019 10:37 Do you buy a lot of PP stuff and pick up 35bubas well? I take all of those trials with a grain of salt and use them for food for thought. If something interests me I’ll conduct my own on farm trials to see if it works “here”. If you had your own plots where you used both the dextrose and ATS together I would believe you. When you add the 5 and 3 together because it “should” work I call BS, that’s PP math imo.

I agree, I also take Becks and Coups posts with their respective grains of salt. He seems to throw out a lot of numbers that look really nice on paper but has no credible evidence of his own to back them up. He "assumes" that you will get those exact yield bumps each year, every year, and I can tell you that "here" that's a pipe dream, each year is so much different than the last or the next you cant bank on stuff like that, especially for little yield bumps like that, just too many variables to be statistically significant.  For example last year XXXX hybrid beat the pants off YYYY, this year YYYY beat XXXX so bad its not even funny, so I never bet on anything, hell in our area one hybrid can be a total flop while 10 miles away its the best corn ever raised in the same year.   

Article in Prarire Farmer with three year results of in furrow sugar study. https://www.farmprogress.com/corn/how-sweet-it-furrow-sugar-applicat...

2015 was 10 bu better, 2016 0 yield improvement, 2017 was 3.5 bu better on four sites, 2018 was 3 bu better @ 7 locations. So four year average was about 4 bu yield increase . Pretty hard to argue with the fact that 75 %of the years showed positive results 25% showed no benefit . 4 bu x $4 corn = $16 acre-$1.68 Dextrose cost = $14.32 acre. x 4 years =$57.28 acre x 2000 acres= $114,560. Will take my chances @ $1.68 acre cost x 8000 acres= $13,440. ROI is even better now @ 850%.

Would wager that a lot of farmers will squander more than $13,000 over four years that has no chance of improving the bottom line.

As far as the 1 gal Sulfer will admit need to see more than one year results to decide how valid 5 bu increase is. But have talked to person that trust about this and he is of the belief that corn will benefit on an early ATS application that corn get utilize of before side dress application of ATS.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)