AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

close calls on flying
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Cole Sibley
Posted 1/14/2019 00:05 (#7243825 - in reply to #7241734)
Subject: RE: close calls on flying

I dont fly, but grew up around it with numerous uncles that all flew cubs and supercubs and such, self taught. There are so many "close calls" and amazing stories that they could fill a book, but i will try and remember one that doesnt incriminate too many people...

My dad didnt fly himself, but always rode with his brother. They were coyote hunting up north somewhere and cruising along a creek when a chinook (big wind storm from temp change here) come howling down the valley.

Uncles plane was a piper cub, but it had big horsepower (apparently native owned airplanes on a reservation werent subject to federal laws at that time). When this wind hit uncle was able to just get nose swung into the wind and peg the throttle before the wind smashed them into the ground, but they werent moving, just maintaining altitude and position. Couldnt go up as the wind wasnt blowing at higher elevation and as soon plane got up there it would stall back down into the wind.

After a short time, the plane starts to heat up (under full power) so dad throws the coyotes out to lighten the plane. Not enough, they still stuck in one place and to turn away from it will throw them right into valley wall either side.

Next goes everything else, guns ammunition and water. By now uncle can ease back a little bit on throttle without losing too much ground, but still not enough to climb out or gain ground.

So dad says ease down a little more and i will jump out so you can gain some more power, but uncle wouldnt let him do that yet.

Soon enough though the wind eased up just enough that uncle could peg it enough and gain enough altitude to swing around. Apparently(?) the whole ordeal took near half an hour.

They made it home safe and had to go back with pickup for the guns.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)