AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

close calls on flying
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

billybob
Posted 1/13/2019 13:27 (#7242365 - in reply to #7241734)
Subject: RE: close calls on flying

First flight with a friend and our 2 sons. He was a former pilot. Crossing Kansas . I could see him looking out his right window. He says, " I see a plane." I lean over and can see it also. Immediately I sit back in my seat and push the yoke ahead hard. Split second later the other plane goes over the top of us and I can see his tail out my left window. Seconds later he is out of sight.

Flew from Nebraska to Santa Barbara. They train flight controllers in LNK and OMA, I am told. You operate by the book or get chewed out for anything. When I flew I always made myself make a trip into LNK or OMA monthly, just for the practice.

Now when I was coming into the LA area flight area VFR carefully obeying rules concerning controlled flight area, I had no problems with LA. Call up SA when I am about 40 miles out. Better early than late. SA comes back on the radio, "55502 you are to far out for our radar yet (but he knew my general location from information I gave him on my radio call). He goes on, "Look down and do you see a 6 lane going west. " " Yes, I reply." "Good, just follow that till you get to the ocean, then pick up the 6 lane going north. Give us a call back when you turn north." No need for heading numbers 270 or 0. lol. SA has noise abatement altitude rules. Fine. I was above that by a few hundred feet. Problem was it put me at to high of speed on final. My run way looked like it would end in the ocean. Not really, but it was close by. Did not want to end my trip in the water. Called tower and told them I was to hot. No problem, just run it around again they said. Again not your formal controller language.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)