AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another land sale
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dan Loehr
Posted 1/13/2019 09:57 (#7241879 - in reply to #7241011)
Subject: RE: Another land sale

Holland, Indiana (SW IN)
Farms With CASE - 1/12/2019 20:55

If you dont mind sharing what is the expected yield as it sits.
Were there plenty of other bidders?

Not many bidders --every farmer including me had seen what happens if we get 8" rain -which happens way too often HERE-(all could see the 140 acres I didn't buy from the highway)-It would flood bad when water went over the highway which was part of the berm system --not nearly enough pumping capacity for that event
The guys renting it were doing what they could but the land owners (about 11 cousins) would not spend $--the land just had a bad reputation
I Think what I bought will not have much problems with water going over the Levee on the 80 acres of low laying land (may be best to call it a earthen berm LOL)
It needs to keep all the surface water off the bottom I moved a D85 Komatsu in already and will move a track hoe in this week --Time to do some damage--even if its a little wet LOL
Needs spinner ditches (surface drains)
FWIW I got required permission from all the appropriate agency's to do the above work
Get my soil tests back Hopefully have weather conductive to spread some lime --which I expect it will need
It will make 200+ bu. corn and 65 +bu. beans if I handle the water --If I don't handle the water 1/2 that because the low ground will make 0
Will be an interesting year--got to love farming--love new challenges

Dan

Edit to add think I will spend $50 an acre ($4000 yearly) in energy costs to pump water off the low ground
Only a high estimate it could be $1500 yearly

Edited by Dan Loehr 1/13/2019 10:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)