AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

coup-more high rent?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KevinM
Posted 1/13/2019 07:36 (#7241566 - in reply to #7241015)
Subject: RE: coup-more high rent?

SE IL
The part about making $35/A on the inputs and crop ins sales I won't argue with too much but if someone has their own sprayer they probably aren't paying full retail to begin with so might be harder to find those folks that will allow that much margin.

On the grain handling. Using your example of 50-50 corn and beans you would have over $900,000 tied up using $3.80 corn and $9.00 beans yielding 200 and 50. That would be 187,500 total bushels. At 5% interest would amount to 2 cents/bu/month. Now if you're going to require the custom farmer to sell at harvest you could probably make your 20 cents but if you're going to act like an elevator and let them forward price that might be a little harder to do. Of course you could make it up in your "basis". I guess I just think handling the grain is a whole nother animal. Lots of money tied up and really requires a skill set that most won't have. I can say this with a fair amount of confidence as my son worked in the business for several years before coming back to the farm. I'm not saying it can't be done but there are a lot of costs to doing it right. We've looked into it and we may get into it at some point but it takes major capital. Either going to have to have it on the hip or an understanding banker. Just remember, if it was easy everyone would do it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)