AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 4000 electrical issue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 1/12/2019 11:13 (#7239668 - in reply to #7239511)
Subject: RE: John Deere 4000 electrical issue

Faunsdale, AL
Where are you grounding the battery charger when you hook it up?

I am wondering if you have a bad ground connection to the batteries or bad connection between batteries (think you will have 2 of the long 6 volts connected in series) and you are bypassing that somehow when you hook up the charger.

Normally you can hook the charger positive to the stud on the starter solenoid along with the positive battery cable and the main feed to the tractor electrical system. Then hook the charger negative to the tractor frame somewhere and with good battery cables, good batteries and clean connections everywhere, you will charge or boost when charger is set on 12 volts.

I think it would explain your problem if you didn't have a good ground from the battery to frame so batteries were really not connected. Then you connect the charger and do get a ground, so the dash lights work, but the charger cannot supply the amps required to turn the engine over properly.

It could also be that you have the two 6 volt batteries connected in parallel but I would expect your charger would trip its circuit breaker as soon as you turned it on. Maybe not, so check that you have the cables installed with battery + to starter, - of that battery connected to + of second battery and finally - of the second battery firmly connected to a cleaned surface on the frame of the tractor. The ground cable connected to the transmission cover bolts under the floor plate of the operators station have gotten corroded several times on our tractors. I like to clean the cable and all surfaces down to bright metal and then cover with copper based antiseize dope before reattaching. Other than that covering the finished connection with grease will protect it for a long time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)