AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

9500 vs 9510 sidehill combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 1/19/2019 01:21 (#7255233 - in reply to #7245199)
Subject: RE: 9500 vs 9510 sidehill combine

NW KS/ SC ID
JD 9400 - 1/14/2019 17:28

That's a good thought, but there's two problems with steep side hills and level land combines. One is cleaning capacity, the gleaner would likely take care of that. The other problem with steep sidehills is being top heavy. Like as in wanting to rollover. The only way to remedy that is with a sidehill (whole machine) leveling system. The gleaner won't take care of that.

I have a level land Deere Walker combine. I've been on hills that definitely make you hold your breath. Like as in going untill the upper drive wheel spins out, and then backing away. That was with less than 50 bu. in the grain tank. With a Deere sidehill machine, I would have kept right on rolling.

Nasty hills, I despise them!!!

There is this thing called proper weight distribution, and Gleaner has it.

Take note of the location of the engine, hydrostat, and many of the drives, as well as the processor and the grain tank. They are all mounted pretty low, much lower than Deere's Maximizer, and especially their STS.

I have combined a hill that a 1460 spun out the uphill side tire, but went back with a Gleaner rotor and walked right across it.

Also, bin shape has alot to do with sidehill capacity, due to the big bottom tapering to the top design of any 2010 and older Gleaner (I will admit the 2011+ S series 390 bushel bin will run over sooner in the hills than its predecessors) versus the JD that has a big opening right near the turret (stock extension) that lets it pour out when the left side is low. Gleaner's stock bins are much bigger than the competition in the 90s, so your Sidehill's full bin amount might be comparable to what you can fit in a Gleaner on a tilt.

Try a Gleaner out sometime, you might like it. :)

Edited by GM Guy 1/19/2019 01:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)