AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good Read on China / Tariff Situation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Huh?
Posted 1/12/2019 09:08 (#7239386 - in reply to #7238768)
Subject: RE: I agree Allison, with one caveat.

southcentral Minnesota
farmer4321 - 1/11/2019 21:32

Trump has belatedly come to understand just how vulnerable the US economy is to "whatever happens to the Chinese economy". And if he expects to have any chance to be re-elected he has to protect the economy, aka the stock market. Tax cuts are fine & dandy but a 20% tax cut pales in comparison to the market losing 20-40% of its value. The wealthy really won't forgive him for that. I've said before, trump's threat of 25% tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese exports is the economic equivalent to nuclear war. The collateral damage is just too great and now trump understands that himself (I think).
And Allison isn't alone in his analysis of trump. Virtually every political leader who has to deal with trump has come to similar conclusions. As one Chinese negotiator remarked, "we understand that trump needs certain "tweetable deliverables". The deliverables don't have to be substantive, just "tweetworthy". Both Lighthizer and Navarro are desperately on guard for this.
But my caveat is this. Trump can be self-destructive. He's fully capable of taking an action that is completely against his interests, especially in order to spite someone he considers his enemy. That makes him dangerous. The most recent example of this is the government shutdown. The government shutdown comes directly from Pelosi's claim that trump didn't have the votes. To prove to her he did, trump engineered the House bill 695 passed by last session's Congress. And look where that's got him now. He can't back down and he can't win.
I know many of you who might read this, object to what amounts to a political analysis here but the truth of the matter is, whatever your political persuasion, the price of soybeans and by extension corn, no longer depends on market forces but instead power politics.

If your market forces vs power politics were true then this chart of price vs carryout stocks percentage should see price below previous stocks numbers at the supposed rate expected today instead of above. 1985-86 and 05-06 saw similar percentage if not a bit less and much lower price. Prove me wrong
Just a caveat, loan rate is in the low 5’s. From 73 to 06 we surely established a range that we haven’t been back to since, why?

Edited by Huh? 1/12/2019 09:22

(37D1ED05-FB16-43C1-A29E-EAFBE849ABF6 (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 37D1ED05-FB16-43C1-A29E-EAFBE849ABF6 (full).png (78KB - 50 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)