AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When did you decide to pass the farm down?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

wht one
Posted 1/11/2019 12:08 (#7237475 - in reply to #7237189)
Subject: RE: When did you decide to pass the farm down?

E. CO, exactly half way between NE and OK
I am wht one's brother, we don't have any boys to give the farm to but we have nephews that helped us before they got out of college. One of them thought he could farm my ground living 75 miles away sitting behind a computer. He isn't going to sit in a tractor 13 hours a day like wht one does when he needs to. He also thinks when he needs something, all he has to do is borrow the money at the bank and buy it. He doesn't want to work on older machinery like we do.

His younger brother has bought land and owes way too much money, he is married and his wife is trying to keep up with the "Jones" and has bought a new Suburban on payments, new house on payments, and land on payments. The nephew has a good oilfield job but his wife had to get a job to make her payments. He is running cows and has to sell all of his calves to make the land payments and now he is short on cows so I loaned him $100,000 to keep things going. He says he can pay me back next year, he going to get a payment from the wind towers crossing their power line across some of his property, and a government program paying him to put some of his ground back to grass (not CRP). They have three kids. If he doesn't pay me back next year, I may have to set him down and have a talk with him. I told him if he gets things paid down and could handle my ground, He could farm it. He can't work out full time and farm our ground. These women think they are put on this earth to spend money.

If any of our nephews had any smarts, they could end up with our ground. When I die, I am done with the land.

Edited by wht one 1/11/2019 14:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)