AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone have much experience railing cull cows?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LJR
Posted 1/9/2019 17:51 (#7232818 - in reply to #7232634)
Subject: RE: Anyone have much experience railing cull cows?

NW Ohio
Win big lose big. Cows can yield anywhere from high 20’s to 50%. I would have no problem railing my own culls but you’ll likely learn a lesson buying salebarn cows and railing them if that’s what your game plan is. Most buyers at pretty much any barn are just getting a commission to buy kill cows, they’re not buying and selling them on there own dime. That doesn’t seem like a bad price but what is that for exactly? There are multiple types of cull cows, canners, cutters, boners, etc. each class of cow often has its own base price or discount off of possibly your $104. Weighing conditions and fill have a lot to do with buying cows out of the ring. Udder fill, pregnancy, cancers, lumps, bumps, chronic pneumonia. Lots to take into consideration. I’ve bought cows at one sale to take to a better market, but I don’t make a habit of it. Have to get your shrink back into them, but can’t fill them too full. If you compete to much with a packer buyer and are railing them to his plant word will get back to the plant and your cows may all have cancer or be downers etc. JK that never happens.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)