AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pouring QLF on bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Beefbiz
Posted 1/9/2019 13:55 (#7232370 - in reply to #7232291)
Subject: RE: Pouring QLF on bales

all over Iowa

Hi Rancher,

My experience with this is all in eastern Iowa, so we have different hay and different QLF products, but it may be helpful.

We typically pour bales at 10% of the bale weight, so that would be more like 10-12 gallons per bale (but we typically do this with a 40%). We have found this gives you good penetration without too much coming out. We will flip them round side up and pour them in a circular pattern.  We will often pour a month or two worth of bales at a time in cold weather.

I'd agree with pouring only your most mature bales.

How fast it will work through the bale depends on the bale - corn stalks vs hay, tighter vs looser, etc. The fastest I've seen it come out the bottom is 3-4 hours, and if it hasn't come out in 24 hours it's probably not going to come out (i.e. the pour may have been a little short).

The first time, we recommend lifting a bale off the ground with forks (treated side on top) and slide a large piece of cardboard underneath (so I like your pallet idea too). This way we can see how fast the QLF will work all of the way through the bale. Whenever it starts coming through the bottom we will flip all of them back on their side and the product will be stable where it is in the bale.

I'm thinking the longer ahead of time you pour the bale, the less your processor will bark.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)