AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pouring QLF on bales
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

rancherman
Posted 1/9/2019 13:13 (#7232291)
Subject: Pouring QLF on bales

Just about ready to accept the first  load of   25%  liquid feed..  couple more fittings, and   a couple of  hoses   cut to length...

Maybe next year,  i'll get a tank and pump  for the processor,  but for this year,  i'll just pour it   (pump it actually)  on the bales.

Really not looking forward to  pumping  each and every day,  so  thought I'd  maybe treat   3-4 days worth.     This is  really late  mature  prairie hay,   good tight bales,  just   mature.  

What are  you guys seeing  for  how fast  the   product  runs  through the bale?    Is my  3-4 day  too  long?     I'll put  a  couple pallets  under the first bales   just so I can  look and see    maybe I can  get a whole week's  worth   worked up. 

Looks like  about   15-20 gallons  of product per bale,   I'm only going to treat half  of their daily  hay,    and this will be fed   either morning or night.  I'll keep my best prairie hay and alfalfa    untreated, 

Example;     morning  feeding   4 bales of  mature  prairie hay,   poured with  60 gallons  total  (660 lbs)   

evening feeding    4 bales  of   oats hay, alfalfa mix,  or   cane,   untreated.    These feeds  were 'put up right',  and the cows really

like it.

sales rep  said  my  processor/tractor   will really  'bark'  when  running the  treated bales...  just how bad will it be??   maybe I'll have to   adjust the slug bar to take a  shallower bite?

Edited by rancherman 1/9/2019 13:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)