AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some "Side Door" hay pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 1/9/2019 09:09 (#7231745 - in reply to #7231703)
Subject: RE: Some "Side Door" hay pics

Driftless SW Wisconsin

mafrif - 1/9/2019 08:56

Is that dry hay?  A bale a day for 26 head seems like a lot, seemed like you were making full size 5x6 bales?  At 1600 lbs a bale that would be 60 lbs a day per cow.

I did say "or when they need it". I last put out 2 bales for this group on Sat 1/5 in late afternoon (my "hay so bad" post). The pics above were from yesterday 1/8 at about the same time of day, so in this case it was actually 3 days and as you can see the cradle was empty. 

One of the bales put out Sat was the carmelized bale as was the second yesterday. There was still some of Sat's good hay left in a ring but with 26 head I want to make sure every one has access, especially with the dramatic drop in temperatures over the next few days from what it had been. They are getting about 3% of the total weight in this pasture per day.  The outer 6" or so of the outdoor bales is junk I peel off and makes bedding.

The first bale put out yesterday is a partial, end of run bale that was probably only about 1000 lb.  The key thing is to watch the feeders.  With a few calves still in this group everybody needs access to hay. That's why I do 2 at a time even when there is some left in one feeder.

I really don't feed a bale a day to this group or I'd be in serious hay trouble.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)