AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

side dress equipment???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 1/8/2019 09:47 (#7229273 - in reply to #7229006)
Subject: RE: side dress equipment???

The first one I built used three row units of a Cyclo 300 6 row planter. I took off the seed tank and the drive to the drum and mounted a JD 7000 squeeze pump in place of the drive just left of the seed tank and mounded a 65 gallon plastic liquid tank in place of the seed tank. I ran hoses from the squeeze pump to each row unit where the seed hose had been and let the opening disks and the closing wheels work.

Later I built a three point sprayer. To apply 32% with the planter I mounted flat plow coulters with thin ammonia knives behind them on the front bar of my 4 rwo JD 7000 planer, one per row, 2-1/4" off center. I insalled an orifice in each application tube to control the flow working with the regulated pump pressure. The year I planned to side dress, I made a bar out of 2x8 douglas fir nailed into a right angle, and moved the plow coulters and the ammonia knives to the bar, every other row. The first pass across the field the three point sprayer was lifted by a ridge at the far edge of the field but the load with 65 gallons of 32% in the tank on the three point sprayer was more than the 2x8s could lift and that main bar broke. So I took off the bar and the coulters and the tubes were long enough to reach the ground and I added 3/4" thread hex nuts to the lower end of the plastic tubes for weights and dropped the 32% on the ground It rained in a few days to work it into the ground, though the stream did some of that. An occasional corn leaf (the corn was 3 feet tall when I side dressed) would lift a drop tube and later showed a burn streak but the leaves survived and that was the year I raised 173.2 bushed corn with only 111 pounds of nitrogen.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)