AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Custom rates - wheat harvesting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jd4930
Posted 1/8/2019 10:55 (#7229429 - in reply to #7229378)
Subject: RE: Custom rates - wheat harvesting

Central ND
$37-40/acre here for wheat, that's with the harvester paying all fuel and doing all the trucking, may get a touch more if the crop is 60+ but not much, I don't know how to post links but I have seen 3-4 harvesters selling out this winter, it seems like you have to be willing to take the small odd jobs no one else wants with older equipment or be the big guy with 6-10 machines that can handle whatever comes his way and never have to turn work away. We have some relatives that are successful at it but they eat, sleep and breathe harvesting 365 days a year, there is no down time for them. They were still cutting corn and beans shortly before Christmas. They have taken over some runs from other guys but it was guys they have worked with before and they have a reputation of getting the job done. As far as getting someone to just turn all their jobs over to you that's gonna be a tough row to hoe imo. We have been using the same cutter for years and years and it would be pretty hard to sell us on a new crew at this point...... not trying to discourage you and anything can be done but be prepared to be broke and tired for awhile to get your feet under you is my prediction...
Help will be tough, I have had more than one guy tell me it takes 10 applicants to find one guy worth hiring, insurance will not cover have the guys that apply for a commercial vehicle, we go through the same thing on the farm and I would say the 10-1 ratio is pretty close

Edited by jd4930 1/8/2019 11:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)