AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hunting story
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Cuzn eddy
Posted 1/6/2019 15:48 (#7224932)
Subject: Hunting story

Midwest
It is the 2 week doe only hunting season in NE. I, due to being busy most years during the November season, get the season choice tag which allows me to hunt archery, rifle, muzzleloader, and January season. I don't bow hunt and have occasionally tried muzzleoader hunting but I have chances if I make time. One of my boys is 11 now and likes hunting so I've been trying to set him up in a good spot, however he is small framed so needs a rest for a good shot with a rifle. Yesterday we didn't see a thing in the morning and at lunch ran into a local farmer who has some really good hunting ground but he doesn't let many onto it. He reminded me that he had a bit of work for me and offered to let us hunt in exchange so I jumped at the chance. This morning my boy shot one at 200+ yards and it wasn't the best shot. We waited about a half hour and then went to look for it. Found a nice spot of blood where it laid down and tried to follow a blood trail. We are both colorblind so it is very hard. Tracked it 75 yards in 1 1/2 hours and then heard a vehicle coming through the field. Turns out to be a local guy who is trapping coyotes there, he offered to help and we covered the next 75 yards in minutes, injured deer got up and we ended up getting it. He then offered to help drag it back if we would let him use the gut pile to help trap. Obviously that was fine with us. Landowner showed up, my kid thanked him profusely and then landowner asked the trapper for help in the morning moving cows, which he obviously agreed to. Suprising part was that he asked if our tags were all filled and I eventually sardine wasn't but I was not worried since one deer is usually enoigh. He then said to come hunt anytime this season, I thought the offer was just for the boys tag. All well that ends well, farmers happy, kids pumped, trapper is happy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)