AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay so bad it's good question? Feeding hay with a skidsteer. nwmomike
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 1/5/2019 23:06 (#7223528 - in reply to #7223496)
Subject: RE: Hay so bad it's good question? Feeding hay with a skidsteer. nwmomike

Driftless SW Wisconsin

garvo - 1/5/2019 22:41 2 gate system-you have 2 sets of gates-drive into a basic trap-shut gate behind you-open gate ahead-reverse going out-get off skid loader once going in-once going out-very not thought out ideals having skid loader carrying bale in the air- I cringe every time I see your skid loader with a bale in the air Jim-you can put a camera up on top of the cab and see perfectly ahead carrying your load low for about $300-I'm not impressed with loaders with bales in the air-maybe do the math and lay it out on graph paper to see the momentum of what you post in pictures Quit doing that-it does the next generation no good to see examples of what not to do-carry your load safe and low-one blown hose as you walk by could kill or mane you-as from what you say-you are exiting your loader when the boom is in the air-proof by your pictures-it only takes one slip and you could be under the bale accidentally-does it really take that long to put the boom and bale on the ground? I'm just as guilty as yourself-the other day I had the empty loader 1/2 way up and a hose blew-it took less then 2 seconds for it to be on the ground-and was fairly new 2015 loader-with no out side signs that it would happen- Please think safety Jim and lead by good examples

I appreciate your comments, Gary. I usually carry the bale up just high enough, when I'm moving, so I can see where I'm going. I almost never get out of the machine with a bale up high as in the pic! However carrying a 1600 lb bale high enough to see under it when driving a 3000 lb machine on decent ground is safer than trying to drive looking at a little TV screen, imho.  Backing up a few feet with a camera, ok. Driving forward, not for me.  As long as you  have a sufficient capacity machine. 

And yes the momentum of a bale held that high can tip you forward in a quick stop etc. I don't carry it as high as in the pic, just high enough to see under it from the drivers seat. That is one advantage to a track loader having a top speed only half of a wheeled skid steer.

I accidentally left it up in the air in this pic as I was watching how close I was to the gate. My bad on the photo. I usually lower it down once I see the gate and stop.

What is much worse is on my old machine climbing in and out of the front entrance under that bale!!! Not safe at all but after a few times the other way backing in and out multiple times, it's human nature to take the shortcut under the bale. That is why I traded machines.

I agree with you that it is NEVER safe to be underneath a raised load  like that bale. I can get in and out of this side door without getting anywhere near under that bale. However I usually lower it down after coming to a stop.

I should mention that a wheel loader has the same advantages of side access while carrying a large bale as this JCB.

I'll remove the picture until put more hay out and take a different one. I do use a "2 gate system" - There is a hot wire inside that keeps the cows far enough back from the gate that I can drive in and close the first gate behind me.  But that further illustrates the need for easier, safer access with a large bale on the front. The side door.

Edited by Jim 1/5/2019 23:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)