AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kitchen Remodel
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

yellowfever
Posted 1/7/2019 17:19 (#7227451 - in reply to #7222362)
Subject: RE: Kitchen Remodel

I am 95% done with a major remodel like you are describing. I wanted something kind of fancy to replace what the older couple had built the home with.

Good or bad, I went with a wide plank wood laminate for $2.20/sq ft. It’s constant all through our upper floor but if it ever gets water damage, I will cut across the kitchen area and replace with tile. Looks great, lots of complements and it was priced right for sure.

I got a $24k cabinet quote for a mid level cabinet layout from Home Depot. I did a bunch of research and ended up buying RTA ready to assemble cabinets online for $8000 and they are better quality, plywood box, soft close, dovetail, etc. bit of work to put together but it paid me well. They will do a free 3D layout and consult then you take over from there. I built an island using these cabinets and even did a little custom modifications and trim work to save money on some things and dress up other areas. Built in fridge and microwave, staggered cabinet heights and depths. I’m very happy with how the cabinets look and turned out.

I shopped several granite places and found a more exotic stone that we thought would really show off our 5x7’ island. We did about 75ft^2 of granite at $68/sqft. Yes it was expensive but people notice it when they walk in and it brings the rest of the house to the next level when it comes time to sell.

I had to replumb as we created an island with sink in it. I did this myself and had good access from our basement below. $5000 bucks for sink, faucet, drain line, fittings, etc.

Moved a few electrical outlets and wiring for everything myself. Cost was relatively low- mainly gfci outlets. Moved some vents to come out the toe kicks of the cabinets.

Removing the old tile backsplash tore up the drywall pretty bad so I cut out the bottom 8’ of wall and replaced. I’m not good at finishing drywall but it’s all behind cabinets and backsplash so no one will ever know.

Lots of misc. costs involved but I know I saved many thousands of labor along the way and got exactly what I wanted I wanted in the end. It would not be unheard of for other to spend 50-70 on something like this but I will have alot less than $20 in something that looks every bit as good IMO. Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)