AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best way to figure out price for calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

All Profit
Posted 1/4/2019 19:25 (#7220601 - in reply to #7220491)
Subject: RE: Best way to figure out price for calves

You are offering a product that has added value because there is far less risk for illness
and he has more time to evaluate the product. But if you have a buyer willing to buy off the
farm you can negotiate something that's fair for both. Remember it costs almost 3 % for
commission. Most sales here require you to bring the calves up overnight, figure another 6% in shrink.
If he is picking them up at the farm that should eliminate the trucking. You are at 10 percent now.
.sold my calves off the farm for 10 years now to two different buyers. The buyer who bought last year
has first chance at them. What I do is look at Bloomington sales barn who publishes price ranges within
weight classes. I pick the average price and give him 3% shrink up to 650lbs and any weight he gets above that
is purchasered at cost of production or you can sell on a slide. This gives him a very close limit it will cost him and ensures I'm getting
the final dollars per calf I want. My buyers understand they are taking all calves unless there is something wrong
beside cosmetic that they don't like. I sell 45 head and this stops the salesbarn from sorting the five small ones out
and the two red ones. We have found that both seller and buyer are happier buying private.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)