AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ideas for putting bulls together
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 1/4/2019 10:15 (#7219551 - in reply to #7218158)
Subject: RE: Ideas for putting bulls together

Faunsdale, AL
A biggish jack will take care of the problem.

You never heard anything squall like a bull when a donkey gets hold of him. They seem to go for the neck, grab a plug of bull and hold on like a snapping turtle.

Once he gets the point across, they will not disturb the peace because the jack might hear!

We used to maintain a pasture of 10-15 three to 6 year old Jersey bulls that had daughters coming along. That was before genomic testing, so the only way to tell much about a dairy bull was to get a bunch of daughters, spread them around to multiple herds as much as possible and wait for them to calve and milk through a lactation. Of course they would be 5 by the time the first proof was calculated and a decision to cull or keep could be made. Having semen frozen was a way of hedging your bets and making it easier to spread the daughters around, but the bulls had to stay somewhere.

Still got the jack, but only one bull so Jack is retired these days and stays in a pen with an old quarter horse gelding that's twice his size. They got the dominance thing figured out long ago and Jack rules! He likes to be petted and fed across the fence but its hard to trust him after seeing what he will do if he gets riled. I keep all calves, dogs and children out of his pen. When I go in, I keep an eye on him and have never had a problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)