AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calling it quits
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

DC swIL
Posted 1/4/2019 05:46 (#7219062 - in reply to #7218273)
Subject: RE: Calling it quits

Thud - 1/3/2019 19:17

I know many will disagree but I've always felt there is more to life than farming. 70 isn't old by any means but you're at an age where you may not be able to do some of the things you've always to if you wait much longer. I'm only 48 but I want to travel the world a bit, maybe just enjoy life. That's a couple years away yet but I know if I wait until I'm 70 there's a real good chance that a cross country trip might not be as fun as it seems now. white water rafting might be a stretch too. I'm not in anyway suggesting you should slow down, just that it never hurts to look 5 yrs down the road and consider what you may or may not be able to enjoy then... if you don't do it now.

Don't wait too long Thud. For one, you don't know what the future holds, you don't know when health will suddenly deteriorate. And even if you remain fairly healthy, as you said, as you get older some things just aren't as fun as they once were. My family and I have enjoyed white water rafting over the years. We have been on the Colorado River in Utah, the Arkansas River around the Royal Gorge in Colorado and the New River Gorge in West Virginia. Had a fantastic time on all of them! Our last adventure was on the Penobscot River in Maine. You launched by a power plant and were pretty much immediately in class 4/5 rapids. Being the biggest and oldest guy in the raft, the guide put me beside him in the back. We hit the 2nd set of rapids and I promptly fell out. The guide grabbed me by the life jacket but the current took me under the raft. I bounced around under there for what seemed like an eternity, we hit some smoother water, and he pulled me back in. It scared the crap out of me! I told my wife later that day, we aren't doing this again. We always talked about trying the multiple day rafting trips through the Grand Canyon, but I'm afraid those days are past. We are still very healthy and still travel a lot, but as we get older some things are no longer on the list. Life here on earth is short. Enjoy it while you've got the chance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)