AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trying to avoid nursing home owning parents home??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

farmer45
Posted 1/2/2019 23:19 (#7216411 - in reply to #7215820)
Subject: RE: Trying to avoid nursing home owning parents home??

Washington Co Ks
My mother was in a nursing home for 15 years. She ran out of money and had to apply for help. She had been an accident and lived with us for 5 years before making the decision herself to go into the nursing home. I had bought the farm when she needed money to pay for her medical bills at the time of the accident.

The way it worked for us in Ks is that the state payed the nursing home bill after she ran out of money. That is why some are talking the taxpayers paying. The nursing home only sends a bill and doesn't care where the money comes from. They aren't after the house. It is the government that is supplying the money and wants to make sure that there are a limited amount of assets to cover it. It seems to me that some say they don't the taxpayers to pay their bills but don't want the nursing home getting their money.

The thing that riles up some including myself to some extent is those that give away their assets and then go to the government for help when what they kept runs out. Where did the idea that what you accumulate in a lifetime of work belongs to the kids and not for you to use for your care when you get to old to work? If you don't want the taxpayers paying for someone's care but want to keep a home or farm in the family then buy it now or when the money runs out. When the proceeds of the sale run out most if not all will have no problem with the taxpayers paying the bills. It's those that give things away that draws complaints. Just because something is legal doesn't make it right.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)