AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rectal Prolapse in bred heifer.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/31/2018 10:41 (#7209279 - in reply to #7209012)
Subject: RE: To bad.........

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Supa Dexta - 12/31/2018 09:09 I dont think its a big secret that there isnt very many good herefords out there.

Supa,  I agree with you but would add the words "for sale" at the end. There are good pasture Hereford heifers, they're just not usually for sale.

There are so many more black heifers for sale, if only because of the numbers, the easiest way to make black baldy calves is to put a good Hereford bull on black cows or heifers.

Or buy some older, proven Hereford cows if you can find any for sale.

------------------------------------

I'm still a relative rookie at this, however, fwiw, my theory is that because of their usually very docile attitude, Herefords tend to be a popular show breed. This has in turn led to a Hereford show heifer industry which over time produces (often high dollar) animals which tend to win at shows but fall apart in the pasture, think lunch comes in a bucket, and have no idea how to calve unassisted. 

I may try some red or black baldies in the future, however I want to start with a herd of good pasture Hereford females then experiment from there.  It's a lot easier to change a bull than it is to change a herd of cows.

Raising a herd of good pasture type Hereford cows is not a quick nor easy undertaking.

Old Tiger, no need to read between the lines.

Edited by Jim 12/31/2018 10:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)